
January 1st, 2010. Damn I can't believe its already 2010. New Years Eve marked my one year anniversary of the day that I moved to Vegas. I feel like I've wasted this last year accomplishing nothing meaningful toward my future. I'm still working in a retail job; have yet to start something in a career level position or something that has some significance for what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. And I've yet to make any friends outside of the people that I work with. Though I've definitely come to a plan and realization that 2010 is going to be much different; I'm going to make everyday count and like numerous people are saying 2010 is going to be my year . So following the tradition of the New Year, I've decided to come up with some resolutions/ways to help me keep on track of my plans for this year. Normally I don't succumb to making these types of goals because most people, including myself in the past, fail
to follow through in completing their resolutions. So instead of following suit I usually just say try to do what you can with your life because failing to do what you wanted to just makes it easier to accept the consequences of failure in the future. Its time that I stop allowing myself to be second best and start taking the initiative to be first. My resolutions are attempts to make up for this past year of disappointment and finish the things I've planned to do before.


#1: Publish a blog everyday. I know this was my original reason for starting my blog and I gave up on it after a while. And sometimes I would type a draft or part of one and not finish it/
publish it. But this time...
#2: Obtain a career oriented position. I've planned to go back to school to get my phlebotomy certificate, but in the meantime I'm going to look for jobs at doctor's offices and hospitals to get my foot in the door and get as much experience in the medical field as I can.
#3: Less time on facebook and more time reading books. I've finally gotten over my addiction to facebook games. They had a hold on me for a while and it makes me sad to think
about the hours of my life that I wasted. I've recently finally been able to start reading again; casual reading has never been too big for me, but I do like a captivating book. So the plan will be at least 20 books, hopefully a lot more.
#4: Make an exercise plan and stick with it. I've made many weekly to monthly training calendars this past year either just to attempt to lose some weight or in order to get ready fo
r a race, but I've never fully stuck with it. So I'm planning to make something that I'll be able to work with and will keep me excited to keep going with it. Part of the plan includes running 5 times a week.
#5: Experience life. Making the most out of 2010 is as simple as that. I turned down
invitations to get out in the world and see new places and meet people but this year I will be following the example of "Yes man" (though not to some of the extremes that he did in the movie =)) and accepting those opportunities. I'm also going to get out of the house more often, and not just sit around on my days off and do nothing.
So to catch up with my first resolution for the year...
January 2nd, 2010. For Christmas I bought my brother Jeff tickets for Flogging Molly. It was kind of a selfish present cause I wanted to go and I knew he would probably want to go too. I actually called him to see if he wanted to go as his Christmas present, though I knew his answer; what Irishman wouldn't want to hear an Irish rock band.

So the concert was today at the House of Blues. Two opening bands played, Bible and a Gun, a Johnny Cash cover band which was actually good, and the Arggolites, or something like that, some cholos singing reggae, it was weird. Flogging Molly was amazing. They were entertaining, who wouldn't find a band that drinks Guinness and straight Whiskey on stage
entertaining =), and all the songs they played were awesome. It was probably the first concert that I've been to with a mosh pit, or at least one that was as crazy as the one there.
After the concert we walked down to the newest addition to the strip, City Center to check it out. It is humongous. We got lost a few times. After that we walked back and went home which, as soon as we got into the car, felt awesome to sit down for the seven hours or so on our feet. All in all it was a good way to ring in the New Year.
January 3rd, 2010. Went to work today, the slowest day of work of my life. After work I came home and relaxed with some more Glee and then watched Amelie. So a few months ago when Glee was in season on tv I kept seeing everyone's status' about watching the show and had no idea what it was about. When Katie came back to work she kept telling me that I needed to watch it because I would like it. I thought it was another

reality show from the soundtrack. But then when I was at Blockbuster I found the DVD and saw it was more of a sitcom. So I rented the first disc and in the first five minutes of the first pilot I was hooked. So I've watched the first 8 episodes out of 13 so far, will probably be finished by tomorrow =)
I first watched Amelie in college. Elyse one of my roommates loved the movie and, since they were playing it on campus, insisted that we go watch it. I loved it too. I had looked for it before at Blockbuster but never found it until tonight. Watching it again I definitely could relate to Amelie. I'm a daydreamer just like her. I live in my dreams and always imagine what I wish would happen in my life but never take initiative to make it happen, probably due to years of shyness and anti-social behaviors and friends. But hopefully I'm going to be able to break my barrier and have less daydreams and more actual real life events. The reason for resolution number 5.


No comments:
Post a Comment