Thursday, January 28, 2010

Close Call to Death

Monday after work I drove straight to my parents house in Oceanside. After arriving, and filling up on coffee, we left for our 8 hour drive to Sacramento to see my brother. We didn't stay long in Sacramento, just the day, but it was worth the drive and exhaustion to get to visit with him and see the city for a little while. Walking around town and going to one of the Sacramento Starbucks made me add the city to a possible future living location. I loved the business like atmosphere and the possibility of meeting new and exciting people. We left heading for Oceanside that night, after a few little naps. Arriving back on Wednesday morning, I was ready to sleep all day, but I figured I would make the most of the day and take my car in to get the 30,000 mile service, which I had been neglecting to do. The mechanic in town, TNT auto, is trustworthy and my dad has been a loyal customer for the past 6 or so years, so I wanted the best to check up on my car, and knew they wouldn't charge me outrageous prices. I spent the rest of the day napping, went to dinner with my parents, and then we went and watched Extraordinary Measures, which was rather good. I want to read the book now.
I left for Vegas around 7:30 pm. I had considered sleeping for a while and then heading out early in the morning so I could get back in time for bed, but I figured that I would rather be able to laze around in the morning instead of stress to get to work on time. With a thermos full of coffee and a few snacks to help keep me awake I headed home. About two miles south of Baker, about an hour away from Vegas, I ran my car off the side of the road. I don't remember what exactly I was doing, but I had taken my eyes off the road for only a second and suddenly hit the grid on the center divider that's supposed to help keep drivers from falling asleep. When I hit the grid, it seemed to pull my car more towards the center which freaked me out so I pulled the wheel to the right, but too much. I started swerving, hit the brakes which did nothing but make me swerve even more. My car spun around, I remember a second when it was facing toward the on coming traffic, and then kept spinning. The next thing I knew, my car drove off the right side of the freeway and landed in a ditch. It was my first accident, and one of the scariest things in my life. It felt like a roller coaster, whipping my body around like it was a lifeless rag doll with no control of what was happening. Fortunately I sustained no injuries. Two good Samaritans stopped to help and make sure I was alright, a couple from Santa Barbara and an older gentleman from Alaska. The couple had called the police to report the accident right after it happened. I called AAA, my dependable heroes, who have always been there to assist me with the smaller car issues, like dead batteries and a blown out tire. The CHP arrived and waited with me for AAA. The two officers and the tow truck driver hauled my poor car out of the ditch. The front right side bumper was terribly scratched and had snapped off the hook, one of the officers was able to put it back on, not sure if its in the correct place though. the back left side bumper was also snapped out, the light cover broken. The front left tire seemed to be the most damaged out of everything. There were rocks and sticks stuck in between the tire and the wheel well and the hub cap was trashed. The tow truck driver took me to a shop in Baker, fixed my tire and checked to make sure everything was good.
Though my car is kind of banged up, everything turned out okay. I'm so thankful to all those who lent a helping hand last night and I hope good things will return their way. The accident has gotten me thinking a lot about life and death. I had always thought that in my last moments I would be praying for forgiveness for all the wrong that I've done in the past, as cliche and selfish as that sounds. But I had no thoughts of prayer at all. I had one moment where I thought that it was the end for me. It terrifies me to think what if I did die, what happens next. I've always considered the religious beliefs that there is an afterlife, but I ponder now what if there is none. I do know for certain that I'm going to take this second chances at life and live to fulfill as much as I can of my dreams and wishes for life.
One weird thing that did happen last night, about 30 minutes or so before the accident, my emergency lights went on. I figure that I accidentally hit then when turning the fan vent, but considering I've never done it before it makes me think that it was some sort of sign. I believe some what in karma and that if you do good things for others, the favor will return back to you. Now I'm starting to think that my semi-premonitions about dying in a car accident and the sign of the emergency lights have some relevance.

No comments:

Post a Comment