Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 1: the Purpose

Wednesday, December 9th, 2009. Today marks the first day of my newest expedition. After watching Julie & Julia, I decided that writing a daily blog sounded like a fun idea and would give me a chance to not only put myself on the path to self discovery, yes the old cliche, by allowing me to explore my day to day feelings and emotions, but would give me something to fill the void of boredom that appears so often in my days.
My first task was to decide what I would write on, "Well duh Bethaney because you can't really write a blog with no real topic or purpose;" well you could but who the hell would find that entertaining, not that I'm saying mine will entertain many people. But if its posted on the internet for the world to see and someone comes across it on some boring rainy afternoon and decides to spend some measly few minutes reading it, I would hope that for that little amount of time I would grab the readers attention and they would forget how much they hate being stuck in their dark lonely abode because of the shitty weather outside and have one of those out-of-body, daydream types of situations and be somewhere warm and happy as they read my blog. So as I pondered the purpose of my writing I decided that why not make it a daily journal type blog that would include the highs and lows of my everyday undertakings. And to make it even more of an attention grabbing piece, I would add more activities to my daily life so that I could at least attempt to make this blog interesting, or at least trick readers into believing that my life is full of excitement and adventure. Or maybe the main purpose is to prove to myself that the days when I believe my life is so dull is in actuality based on the fact that I have chosen to be anti-social and non-committal and therefore put myself into this life of lethargic tendencies based of my own personal choices.
So once the blog topic was decided next came down to the naming of the blog. The easy part right? Well that's what I thought. I had finished several blogs in my head before I finally narrowed down my options for the title. I wanted something meaningful, not cliche or something that seemed like no thought was put into it. So I came up with what I thought was an appropriate title relating to my current location and place in my life. For while my choice to move to Las Vegas was seemingly spontaneous, how can choices in life really be truly spontaneous or preformed with no thought process behind them. I mean there are always two choices to a typical problem, and in order for you to choose one over the other, you have to think that choice so doesn't that contradict the definition of spontaneity? For instance while people say that my moving to Vegas was spontaneous, maybe it was more of an out of character maneuver, because there was careful thought put into the decision that I was making. I didn't flip a coin or pull the location out of a hat, I had predetermined that Las Vegas was where I was going to go next in my life.
And with that the title and topic of the blog had been decided. Next it came down to the rules, how do I keep myself on track for completing this goal of writing for a year. Well first of all I need to stop being lazy with my life and start trying new things and getting out in the world, that way I can try my best to come up with a different story each day. If I can't find things to go to or new places to explore, then I'll read a book or (last resort) watch a movie. But no matter what I am determined to stick with this goal, even if its only a few sentences to say all I did was work and it was the most boring day, there will be a bog posted about it. And if you are reading this and might be from Vegas or have ever been to Las Vegas and have an idea of what I could try or do out here, comment with an idea, as long as its legal (though not much isn't here) I will attempt to try it out.
But there's one last thing that needed to be figured out before the idea of a year long blog could be put into motion. What is it that I want to truly accomplish from committing one year of writing a public diary? Well that part I'm still figuring out, but I think I've thought of a few of the possible answers: one I want to get back into writing. I used to love it and thought about entering into the journalism field. So even if this blog is never read by a single person, if it at least starts me on the path to getting back my love for writing then it will be worth it. Two: I want to stop filling my "free time" with movies and sleep and computer games (damn those Facebook games for being so addictive) and start doing something productive with my life. I mean sitting at a computer for a few hours staring at a computer screen is still burning my pupils, but at least some accomplishment will come out of it instead of getting to the next level on Farmville or looking at all of my friends photo albums, wishing I was doing half the things they were. And three: maybe i'll be able to figure out who exactly I am and what exactly I want to be doing for the rest of my life. So here's to the beginning of a new year, starting a little earlier than the actual numeral year change, but more of a spiritual change. Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment